Thursday, October 1, 2009

Airport brings me back to earth

It had been quite a while since I'd last screwed up going through an airport. But when I did it at Toronto's Pearson last month, I more than made up for it.

Liquor was involved in my first mistake, a litre of duty-free Bombay Sapphire gin I'd bought during our Air Canada flight from England. It had been decades since I'd last done this, which helps explain why I ran afoul of security.

As soon as the lady in uniform asked if she could open my knapsack, it dawned on me: I'd missed my chance to check the pack for a connecting flight, which we were due to board in half an hour.

I could have gone back and done that -- in fact the security woman suggested this -- but Pearson was busy, lines were moving slowly, and I couldn't be sure of being able to make my way back through security and reach my departure gate in time.

Bye-bye Bombay Sapphire.

Flustered by the sight of a $22 purchase disappearing to wherever confiscated booze goes, I made my next faux pas -- losing the boarding pass for my next hop.

Of course I didn't discover this until our flight was called. Pockets were searched, panic ensued, blood pressure skyrocketed.

I dashed over to the Air Canada Jazz desk and threw myself on the mercy of the folks there.

No problem, one said, glancing at the boarding pass of the flight I'd just come off, you're in the system. A couple of keystrokes and, voila, a replacement pass. It's something to keep in mind should this happen to you.

I was so grateful I forgave Air Canada for serving fish for lunch on the way over, the fragrance of which lingered for some time.

And it made me yearn for pre-9/11 when I lugged a gallon jug of bourbon -- a prize won at a newspaper workshop in Virginia -- on and off flights without anyone batting an eyelash.

Speaking of airports:

- After elbowing our way through Terminal 3 at Heathrow, in London, England, a travel companion asked if it was the world's busiest airport. According to The Economist, Atlanta has that distinction, handling 90 million passengers in 2008. Chicago O'Hare was next and Heathrow third.

- Early mornings at the airport in London, Ont., will be even busier when United Airlines starts flying to Chicago on Sept. 29. The first departure is at 6:45 a.m. (a second is scheduled for 4:53 p.m.) On my last dawn visit, check-in was still a breeze and the security staff friendly as always.

More leisure travel news:

- Virginia Beach, Va., has extended its annual Canada Weeks promotion. They can enjoy two extra nights free when booking a six-night stay at a participating hotel through Oct. 1. In addition, participating kayaking, surfing and eco-tourism outfitters are offering Canadians a "book one get one 50% off" offer, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg has discounted rates. Visit vbfun.com/canadaweeks for details.

- Coach Canada is marking the introduction of double-deck Megabuses on its Toronto-Kingston-Montreal route by putting 10,000 seats on sale for $1 for Internet bookings at www.megabus.com. Once those seats are gone, others will be available at $10 to $60. The 81-passenger Megabuses have front and rear staircases and offer free Wi-Fi, power outlets and DVD video capabilities, as well as a panoramic view, two folding card tables, reclining seats, restroom, safety belts and accessibility for the mobility impaired.

Waterloo hosts winged wondersNissan Canada Announces Pricing on All-New 370Z Roadster